HERSHEY'S Red Velvet Cake
SKILL LEVEL : IntermediatePREP TIME : 15 Minutes
|1/2 cup||butter or margarine, softened 125 mL||1 1/2 cups||granulated sugar 375 mL||2||eggs 2||1 cup||buttermilk or soured milk* 250 mL||2 tbsp||red food colouring 30 mL||2 cups||all-purpose flour 500 mL||1/3 cup||HERSHEY'S Cocoa 75 mL||1 tsp||salt 5 mL||1 1/2 tsp||baking soda 7 mL||1 tbsp||white vinegar 15mL||2 cups||prepared vanilla frosting (approx.) 500 mL||HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Mini Chocolate Chips or CHIPITS Milk Chocolate Chips|
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour a 9 x 13-inch (3.5 L) baking pan.**
2. Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl; add eggs and vanilla, beating well. Stir buttermilk with food colouring. Stir flour with cocoa and salt; add alternately to butter mixture with buttermilk mixture, mixing well. Stir in baking soda and vinegar. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and cool completely in pan. Frost and decorate as desired.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup (250 mL).
**Cake can also be baked in two, greased and floured, 9-inch (1.5 L) round cake pans. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Place on a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes in pan. Turn cakes out from pans and cool completely. Frost and decorate as desired. (Prepare or purchase extra frosting for layer cakes.)
• Heart Shapes: Use an open-topped heart-shaped cookie cutter, at least 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) deep and 3-inches (8 cm) wide to cut cake into 12 hearts. Frost and decorate as desired.